The 11th chapter of Hebrews, often called “the faith chapter,” is a Reader’s Digest style compilation of some of the amazing people throughout the Bible who exercised incredible faith. It is tempting to get infatuated with the men and women whose stories are listed – but that would be to miss the point. These individuals could only have faith because God is faithful.
Hebrews 11:1 provides a definition of faith:
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see.”
Hebrews 11:11 tells us how Abraham, the “father of the faith,” was able to have such faith:
“By faith Abraham, even though he was past age – and Sarah herself barren – was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who had made the promise.”
Abraham – and all the rest of the heroes in Hebrews 11 – had great faith because the God they worshipped was faithful. In the inmost part of who they were they just knew God would keep His promises, even if it meant parting the Red Sea or causing a barren woman to become pregnant or raising the dead – and God did all those things!
The faithfulness of God is the “oil” that keeps all the other attributes of His character functioning. Does God ever forget to be in control? No, because He is faithful. Does His love ever fail? No, because He is faithful. Is He always present? Does He leave me or forget me? No, because He is faithful. You get the picture.
This Sunday the message Pastor Dale will bring is entitled, “God is Faithful.” No fancy theological word this week – just a straightforward reminder that God can be trusted. In preparation for our time of study this Sunday, let me encourage you to read the following verses:
- Psalm 33:4 – God is faithful in all He does
- Hebrews 11:17-19 – Abraham knew God would be faithful, even if it meant raising the dead
- Lamentations 3:21-24 – His faithfulness is obvious every morning
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 – He will do it!
- Joshua 21:43-45 – God was faithful to Israel
- Psalm 119:90 – and He is faithful to all generations
- Romans 3:3 and 2 Timothy 2:11-13 – even when we are faithless
- 2 Corinthians 1:18-20 – God is ultimately found faithful in Jesus, in whom every promise is fulfilled
- Hebrews 10:23 – therefore, we have hope
Please be praying for all aspects of Easter Sunday – from the sound system to people’s salvation. We can trust Him to listen and do what is right.