So often the real work of the ministry occurs after an individual leaves the office and walks into the parking lot with the Lord. This particular e-mail message illustrates that so well (and I really, really like the verses the Lord revealed to this person).
“Just got back in from my trip yesterday having spent about eight hours on the plane and in the airport with my Bible and my thoughts. The churches that I have always been to promote the personal relationship with Jesus. They do their very best to show people how to get close to Him. How to pray effectively, what you should read and how often. Give God quiet times each day. I think we all strive for that personal relationship – and for years I did. I think that when I attended church as a teen I was very close because emotions were so raw and real and I was going through a lot and was so very honest…but even then it was not as close as I have felt these past couple days. And something in our sessions changed the meaning of “personal relationship”. Maybe not changed the meaning, but deepened it – explained it better. And I decided on the plane to read Psalms because David was so close to God and had complete honesty in his emotions…and here are some things I found. It was almost like God took the time to speak to all of who I am and what I have been through in these scriptures. (I use the Message for every day reading….)”
- Psalms 9:9-10 God’s a safehouse for the battered, a sanctuary during bad times. The moment you arrive, you relax; you’re never sorry you knocked.
- Psalms 16:1-2 Keep me safe, O God, I’ve run for dear life to You. I say to God “Be my Lord”. Without You nothing makes sense.
- Psalms 34:4 God met me more than halfway, He freed me from my anxious fears. (or at least He’s working on it 🙂 )
- Psalm 34:15 God keeps an eye on His friends, His ears pick up every moan and groan.
- Psalm 34:18 If your heart is broken, you’ll find God right there; if you’re kicked in the gut, He’ll help you catch your breath.
- Psalm 34:20 He’s your bodyguard, shielding every bone, not even a finger gets broken.
- Psalms 34:22 God pays for each slave’s freedom; no one who runs to Him loses out.
- Psalms 37:5-6 Open up before God, keep nothing back; He’ll do whatever needs to be done: He’ll validate your life in the clear light of day and stamp you with approval at high noon.
It took a lot of courage and faith for this individual to crack open the door to the hiding place of the soul. Part of this person did not want Jesus in there while another part was afraid He would not enter, even if invited. But the choice to reopen the door is resulting in wonderful and deep relationship with the Lord. It is really neat to watch.