Legacy: something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past. Synonyms: birthright, heritage, inheritance.
Examples of legacy:
• She left us a legacy of a million dollars.
• He left his children a legacy of love and respect.
• The war left a legacy of pain and suffering.
• Her artistic legacy lives on through her children.
The above is from the Merriam-Webster dictionary. All good words. But when God talks about legacy it is bigger than a million dollars and lasts longer than a few decades. God says the choices and values of my family generations before me will either drive me away from Him or draw me closer to Him – and that the legacy I am passing on to my children will either have a positive or negative impact for centuries to come. Now that’s big!
Dustin is going to conclude the “Ideal Family” series this Sunday with a message about “Legacy.” Drawing on biblical principles and illustrating with stories from his own life, Dustin will help us understand that we are all influenced by the legacy we have received; that we are all passing on a legacy whether we are aware of it or not; that legacies can be good or bad; and that a bad legacy does not need to define us.
In preparation for our time of study let me encourage you to consider the following verses:
• Psalm 48:1-14 – Consider what He has done then tell your kids
• Psalm 78:1-8 – You do not have to let your legacy define you
• Psalm 89:1 – Some of you will pass on positive legacy through song
• Psalm 102:18 – Others will write for future generations
• Psalm 145:1-7 – The key is for one generation to pass it on to the next generation
• Deuteronomy 4:9 – God says it’s the big people’s job to pass on the legacy of truth to the kids.
• Judges 2:1-23 – You would do well to read this entire chapter; but make sure you don’t miss verses 6-11, 19. “We saw God!” “We heard about God.” “Who is God?” It only took three generations for an entire nation to get totally lost.
• Judges 21:25 – This one verse pretty much summarizes what happens in the absence of positive legacy.
School is almost over for this year. I am really looking forward to seeing the worship services packed before y’all head off on vacations.
Very Important Note: There will only be ONE worship service at 10:00am next Sunday, June 8.